Morning @ Sand Beach

My brother and I like to shoot at Sand Beach in Acadia National Park because it doesn’t attract quite the throng of photographers that other sites in the park do. After you’re done shooting the cliff face you can walk a hundred yards up the beach and shoot a tidal marsh and mountain called the " Beehive"
:vulcan_salute:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
5 Likes

Michael,

LOVE the colors throughout here; those soft blues meeting the warm tones on the beach and the soft colors in the sky/clouds - just beautiful. I especially love the wave action/interaction with the also colorful rocks in the sand. I’m thinking there’s more images within here too… :smile:

The only suggestion I have would be to raise the luminosity in the trees and shadow area UR. Not too much, but a touch. Otherwise, really enjoying this one.

Lon

Hey Michael

Great image! Agree with Lon about the beautifully soft colours and motion in the waves. My initial reaction, was a desire to see more…I’d really like to see what the 16:9 version of this would look like, in the hopes that there’s a bit more to the left of frame? However, perhaps there’s good reason for the crop. Either way, nice work.

Very beautiful, serene image, Michael. The softness of the waves contrasts so nicely with the sharpness of the rocks in the fg - the whole composition working really well. I agree with Lon about the trees and cliff area - the contrast there with the pale sands is perhaps just a shade too strong for me.

Matt, you’d be seeing nothing but blank ocean and sandy beach, all the good rocks are to the right where Mike has shot.

Mike, I love the pastel colors in the sky and water, and the color of the sand looks great as well. I also like how you have the surf streamers as the waves rush back in around the rocks. In addition to the shadows in the trees, another suggestion for improvement would be to burn down the LLC slightly. It doesn’t need to be the same luminosity as the LRC, but the sand in the LLC looks too bright on my monitor.

Was this taken in the late afternoon ?

Thanks @Lon_Overacker, @Ed_McGuirk, @Ian_Wolfenden, @matt3. Matt, Ed stated it exactly. There is nothing there. My brother Ed has some nice wider shots with receding waves on the beach.
Ed, this was shot around 4:30 am

Beautiful work, Michael. It reminds me of the straightforward simplicity of some of Ian Cameron’s beach images. It’s pretty heavy on the oranges at places but it works for me.

Thanks @Igor_Doncov. I guess I need my monitor calibrated. I think you told me before some of my colors were kind of wonky. Could you please tell me where the oranges are heavy so I can adjust in future? Thanks

To be honest I don’t know the New England coastline that well but the rocks beneath the firs seem pretty orange/reddish to me. But as I commented - I do like it that way.

Michael, This is a wonderful image! I love the exposure with the misty water flowing around the rocks and over the sand. Beautiful light, colors and just a real pleasure to view. Like this a lot as it is!

Wow, Mike, this is awesome. It’s a fresh take of Acadia to me and I really enjoy the foreground that you have created. If there is one nit, it would be to bring up the shadow on the tree just a little bit. But it’s a small nit compared to the beauty here. Congrats on this beautiful image.

Beautiful image, Michael. The soft, subtle pastel colors are very nice and the composition is well balanced. As others have mentioned I’d open up the shadows in those pines to complement the soft, lower contrast look of the overall image…

I love the colors Michael. I also like your chosen shutter speed and smoky effect it creates at the wave front.

1 Like

Hi Michael - I really like the color palette and how the color of the sky, water and sand match. Also the lines of water movement add to the overall feeling.

Michael, the pastel colors here are marvelous. There’s also a fine sense of quiet motion with the soft water in the foreground.

Great image brother. And here you told me you did not come away with anything good that morning. The pastels are gorgeous throughout the scene as is the wave action along the beach. I could see burning down the LLC just a touch, but certainly not a deal breaker. Beautifully done.