Moody Tree

This is my first go at working on a moody forest type scene. I’ve been inspired by different photographers for each edit I’ve been doing so that I can work out what PS techniques are used - this edit was influenced by Enrico Fossati and his landscape forest work. I’d love some feedback

The specific things I’m wondering about are - does the composition work, how do the colours look & how does the direction of light/light streak (added in post) look?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Single exposure and edit in Photoshop with camera raw, dodge burning, Tk actions and a lot of trying to bring down the saturation where needed. lighting was added after by using a radial mask and some brushes

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’d love anything, I really value the feedback you all give on my images…It’s helped me a TON

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single shot

1 Like

Gosh, this works so well for me. You have pretty much the perfect tree for this. The shape of the tree and its branches mimic the shape of the canyon and it is also a tree with characters. The rocks right under the tree is a perfect base. And I don’t need to mention the quality of light here. The processing accentuates those good characteristics, too. The light streaks look quite natural in the image. Do you mind sharing the techniques you use for that light streak?

If it were mine, however, I would crop the bottom up to around the lowest dry leaves there.

Lovely. The light does look natural - I wouldn’t have known it was added, had you not told us. The colors are superb, and the greens don’t overwhelm. I agree with Adhika on the crop; the bottom isn’t adding anything, and actually detracts, as it feels unbalanced as is. A 4x5 ratio might be nice.

Dale, this works really well for me. The light is really nice and dreamy, and the shadows offer just enough detail. Colors are subjective, but I like your handling of the green/yellow balance you offered. I do agree with the others suggestion on the crop to a 4x5 format.

For a first go at a moody forest scene, this is really wonderful!