Moonrise over Chico Peak

Balancing a “full moon” near the horizon with some sunrise/sunset light on the land and in the sky either needs Paul’s technique of an ND filter for the sky or be timed to the day or two before or after the actual full moon. This is a view from our MT house of the moon rising over Chico Peak with a hint of color in sky.

7D2, 100-400 @ 112, 1/40 s, f/8, iso 200, tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Mark, a really fine image here with the longer focal length lens. I like the wonderful glow & excellent detail of this full moon. Leans a bit toward the yellow or a golden harvest moon. It also looks like you’ve got the start of a nice earth shadow sky going on here too. Overall, between the yellow moon and slightly warmer sky against the contrasting white cooler snow this works very nicely…:+1:

Mark, I love the hint of pink in the image. I think it adds a lot to it and the moon is exposed really well, too!

Nice choice for the challenge, Mark! I think you handled the exposure quite well. You retained good detail in the moon while keeping the relistic light levels and definition in the mountains and foreground. Very nice!

Beautiful view and image. You are a lucky dog to have that scenery from the house!

Absolutely amazing color and light with a fine view. Well composed.