Moonrise & rework

Rework based on feedback from @Mark_Seaver and @Diane_Miller

This was taken while it was still light out. I thought the moon looked pretty with the clouds and blue sky but I wanted to bring out the textures in the moon and clouds more so decided to convert to black and white.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400, ISO 100, 300mm, f/6.3, 1/400

Vanessa, you’ve got a fine mix of moon and clouds here (just needs a witch silhouette for halloween). Going b&w also fits well. I don’t know what the clouds looked like, but I’m thinking that having the moon higher and more to the right in the frame might look good.

1 Like

Very nice! @Mark_Seaver has a good idea about a crop. There is a lot of visual weight toward the bottom of the frame. The dark edge at the right is also a bit odd.

There is some posterization in the sky – did you do the darkening or contrast or whatever adjustments in the raw converter, and then go to your “PS clone” in 16 bits? If you worked in 8 bits and did tonal work there, you would be inviting posterization. If not, then it was just the inevitable from going to a JPEG.

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Seaver and @Diane_Miller for looking and your feedback. I’m not sure why my black and white turned out the way it did Diane, this is the original….

I don’t do Photoshop.

Also I redid my black and white with a different crop and adjusted exposure to make the sky a more even darkness….

Very nice, with good detail and exposure on the moon. I feel the tighter crop gives more emphasis to the moon/cloud balance, but another possibility is to leave just a bit more room on the top and right. The “rule of thirds” should be overruled by visual weight balance.

1 Like