More From the Great Horned Owl's Family Tree(s)

Testing the Flight Gear

Taking a Nap

Look to the Future

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is more of the series I got with the new owl family near our home. This chick was the first to leave the nest, and hung around close so momma could keep feeding and caring for it. I love those huge feet and that fuzzy undercarriage in these. It was quite agile in climbing around in the trees.

Specific Feedback

Not sure if the sleeping owl adds to the story line here or not. Also wondering if I cropped out enough of the twisting limbs and leaves around the owl chick to keep the focus on the chick. I had to selectively lighten the shady areas and dampen the bright sunny areas in processing. I also darkened the surrounding leaves and BG to help bring out the chick a bit more. I would like to know if I went overboard on processing, or if it was enough. Some cropping and a few selective branches removed in several of these.

Technical Details

1. Canon 7D MII, f8, 1/1000, iso 1600, +1 step, 560 mm (100-400/1.4 ext.)
  2. f7.1, 1/800, iso 800, 401 mm
  3. f8, 1/800, iso 800, 560 mm
  4. f7.1, 1/800, iso 800, 328mm
1 Like

The processing on the background looks fine to me, ED. This youngster really does a good job of finding shady spots to stick it’s head. I think you might want to spend a bit more time working on the owlet itself in the first two images and the bright light on the lower parts of the bird pull my eye away from the face. The sleeping owl, while it’s certainly part of the story, doesn’t do a whole lot for me.

Dennis, I really appreciate your comments. I will try to rework the first two a bit more. I was hesitant with the sleeping chick to start with.

Interesting and well done captures Ed. Particularly like the first one with the owl facing towards us. I don’t have any Great Horned Owl shots in the wild so seeing these is a real treat.

I’m envious you have these close to home. The first two are my favorites, which I suspect is due to the eye contact. The raised wing and spread tail feathers in the second image makes me keep looking. Nice work all around.

1 Like

Thank you Allen. We felt privileged to have their little family grow up with us.