More Than a Mouthful

I had decided to take a quick paddle one evening while camping this Summer in NY’s Adirondacks. After setting out I heard a splash behind me and was surprised to see a loon with his head under water. Guessing what was happening, I quickly turned my kayak around to get into position and was able to capture the entire sequence, which lasted less than a minute. I felt very fortunate to have witnessed this behavior and am still amazed that he ate the whole thing.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments and suggestions are welcome. I had considered cloning out the light reflection line (sun was low) but didn’t think it would come out natural enough.

Technical Details

Sony RX10M4, ISO 640, 1/320s, f/5, 412mm (35mm equiv).

1 Like

A wonderful action shot, Jim. You might crop a bit from the left to remove the reflection line along that edge.

An amazing shot. Hard to believe the loon could eat that fish. Probably didn’t have to eat again for another week. Great capture.

A great action shot and this loon must have been very hungry at the time the picture was taken. Crop a little off the lefty and tone down the highlights a bit for perfection. Well done…Jim

Thank you @Dennis_Plank , @Allen_Brooks , and @Jim_Zablotny for your comments and suggestions. I did the left crop and reduced the highlights a little, both of which led to an improved image.