More Than One

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I liked how these flowers were lined up with each other, and while photographing them this wasp came into the picture.

Specific Feedback

Does the sharpness of the one and repetition of the same type of flower progressively oof work for composition?

Technical Details

Canon R5, Canon 180mm L macro lens, HH settings all manual except ISO auto. 1/250, f9, ISO 800. Edited in LR.

1 Like

This kind of cascading repetition is classic and a wonderful feature. You have a gorgeous subject with interestingly curled petals and the added interest of the visitor.

I wonder about slightly more shadow recovery, especially on the back flower, and some vignetting of the brightness in the LL corner.

1 Like

Shirley, the sharpness of the front flower stands out, along with the Wasp (and it’s coordinated colors). The repeated flowers into the distance adds well to the sense of enjoying a garden on a fine summer day, especially against that nice green background.

A pretty classic view of these dramatic flowers. Looks like the wasp is just out of the crisp focus zone, but not enough to really matter since it blends in pretty well. The repeating pattern works to show the profusion of the flowers and environment. You could do some dodging to lower some shadows and bring out more modeling if you were so inclined - I mean in the petals themselves. Fading the exposure toward the back would be nice, too, and help keep us from going to the LLC quite so quickly. These aren’t blooming yet up this way, but should be in a few weeks.

1 Like