Morning catch

![Morning catch]
On Sept. 5 around 7:30 AM I went to Hammonasset Beach State Park, Ct. and found this Great Egret working the bank of one many pond in the park. On the second try the Egret came up with a morning snack.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7Dll, Sigma 150-600mm, f8, 562mm, 1/1600, -1EV, ISO 400. The shot is hand-held and cropped by 50%. I reduced the highlights and reduces the contrast between the reed and shore mud in DxO PhotoLab 4.

1 Like

Good catch for both of you! He looks like he’s showing it off to you!

I don’t know your software but the darkest areas in the reeds look very blocked up, with strongly-defined edges. Are you able to lighten the darkest areas more smoothly?

Nice timing on the first image, Peter. I like the second image with the fish as well. The mud banks are kind of ugly, but that’s what happens on tidal creeks and rivers. You could try lightening the shadows some more, but I’m not sure it will help a lot. I don’t know what DxO has in the way of blurs, but you might look at that for the mud banks and reeds.

Two nice shots Peter. I like the nice full sideways look at the egret. And well done on the exposure.

I like the action in the first shot and the overall composition of the second where the river bank doesn’t seem to feature as much. Nice work.

Hi Diane, Dennis, David &Allen
Thank you for your commits. Unfortunately as Dennis point out, the muddy side of tidal creaks and ponds look like that. I went back into DxO PhotoLab and use a local brush blur tool on the bank and reeds, I also brought up the shadows.
Peter