Morning Coastal Fog

We’re getting morning fog every day now. There were a few days of really thick fog that gave me opportunities to shoot some unusual seascapes. A morning of experimentation with timing of surf and shutter speed resulted in this image.

@Ed_McGuirk’s modifications:

4 Likes

Aesthetic:

• I love the atmosphere and mood in this image
  • The slight bit of water motion is perfect with a balance of texture and motion.
  • The overall cool colour is good and helps the overall feel of the shot.
  • The haziness of the fog helps give the shot a lot of depth.

Technical

• There is a red spot on the rocks that is a bit of a distraction
  • The white water in the background is a bit bright and there is some blue fringe in the adjacent rocks
  • otherwise the tonality and exposure works well.

Appeal/Connection:
This image really resonates with me and I love the overall mood. It really reminds me of brisk morning on the coast with wind in my hair and the smell of salt in the air.
Beautiful.

Mike

1 Like

I was going to say that I was pleased to see another grand landscape offering from you, then I noticed your tag said “small scene”. Well, I guess this image doesn’t really have much of a horizon, so small scene it is. However it is definitely not the more intimate type scene that you often include in your posts. But it is fitting with your personal style in that it is partially a study in controlled chaos (from the perspective of the thrashing waves), and it benefits from a strong composition.

I also love the contrast between the dynamic, powerful waves and rocks in the foreground, and the softer, more ethereal feel of the foggy cliff formations in the background. You have achieved a very powerful juxtaposition between two different types of feelings/moods in your composition. This image is one that I want to spend a lot of time looking at and studying. Very nicely done Igor.

In terms of technical tweaks, I would clone away the red/orange spot mentioned above. I might also crop or clone away the small cut off rocks along the bottom edge of the frame.

In terms of more subjective factors, I think there is some latitude to manipulate luminosity to guide the viewers eye. As presented the white water in the center is significantly brighter than the background. If this were mine, I might try to balance that a little bit more, dodging the more distant cliffs, and pulling back the highlights slightly in the center. This would make it easier for the viewer engage with the distant cliffs. I might also burn the very near foreground water slightly as well. I think the sum of these changes would enhance the dynamic/soft thing you already have going on here. Here is a rework reflecting my thoughts. These changes are subtle, but this was already a great image to begin with.

Excellent, Igor. I can smell the salt and feel the chill of the damp air. I like the suggestions above and @Ed_McGuirk 's rework, as subtle as they are. Works for me.

Igor, sitting on the shore, hearing and watching the surf through a touch of fog sounds wonderful. This view speaks very well to being there enjoying the coast. The touch of extra brightness on the far rocks fits the scene well. I too noticed the extra brightness in the surf near the center. A bit of dodging in the surf at the bottom center, would let the bright areas in the surf act to lead eyes through the scene. The action in the surf looks great.

Love this one, Igor. I’m getting rather tired of all those shots with the camera low shooting along the leading line etc., etc. It is rather refreshing that you chose this point of view. The boulders and the dark and light patches in the roiling water really complement each other and generate so much drama. And of course, being a fog man myself, I love how it all fades into oblivion. Nicely, nicely done. I think this could also be a killer in black and white.

1 Like

Hi Igor,

I think you’ve made a calming mood from a scene that could have been quiet chaotic. I also find your composition balanced with a pleasing symmetry from lower right to upper left. I’d also try a B&W of this shot