Morning Dunes

It happens not often, but sometimes early in the day there will be some fog.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback is welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

nikon D850, F16, 1/20, iso 100 , 24-70 at 70mm

1 Like

Again, a wonderfully-moody photo. Your images consistently have a unique visual texture and character and are most enjoyable.

It’s a nice morning scene and I am a sucker for fog shots, yet I am a tad baffled at your camera settings. At f/16 you should have been able to have everything from just about the end of your lens, to infinity in focus, yet when I bring it into Photoshop (even just here on the standard screen, it doesn’t appear anything is in focus. From this I have to assume you either hand-held at 1/20 or, on a tripod manually focused and prior to making the exposure, somehow bumped the lens.

Hey Ben, in my Acadia Fog post you said you almost never get fog where you live, were you holding back on me or something ? :grin:

I agree with Ron, and I would add that you certainly know how to work with light in your images. The light is really sweet here, and then the fog is the icing on the cake.

I agree with @Chris_Calohan that the foreground is a bit soft. But the background trees at the horizon look sharper, maybe you placed the focus point too deep into the scene. With that said, I did a rework where I added some clarity and texture to the foreground only. I think it helps a little.

1 Like

I suppose he could have set the focus point all the way to the top of the frame to get a sharper BG, and perhaps that was the intent. I would have set the focus point a bit lower to give a bit more sharpness to the mid ground, thus a tiny more to the foreground and the BG would have held as per f/16. It still looks to me as if the focus was knocked off just enough to lose overall focus. He could shoot the scene again but getting that fog would require wearing out a set of Rosary beads.

@Chris_Calohan , @Ed_McGuirk , @Ronald_Murphy .
The image is a bit unsharp. To me that just gave a certain mood. I think settings were all wrong .( see my added raw image). I should better watch what my settings are. But now my question is would that give nicer images or just as sharp as possible ?
Ed, near my place is a small forest with spooky trees. Now I am all year waiting for a bit fog. Nothing happens.
Thank you all for this small discussion. I will go back there and try to do better. With my new nikon 24-70 2.8 VR ! :grinning:

The original .

@Ed_McGuirk , Thank’s for your rework, Ed

I went in a whole different direction and cooled down the image…kind of a coolish morning softness.

The dune-scape and distant trees of the scene suggest to me a place with many places for eyes (and feet) to investigate. The raw default rendering and the finished image are so different … did you use a one-shot HDR approach?
For me, the foggy mystery of the terrain is overwhelmed by the depth of color and brightness of the sky. This is one thought about pulling the sky into balance with the terrain. I added a little rim light to the bushes on the left.

@Ronald_Murphy , @Ed_McGuirk , @Chris_Calohan , @Dick_Knudson , Sorry for the bit late answer. I have some work to make an understandable text in english.
About my photography, I just do not think too much while making images.Most of the time I will expose to the right and don’t bother for the left to much . I try and see what I can do and where it ends with the necessary knowledge of photoshop and TK8.
The nice thing about photography in my view are all the possibilities. Chris, your interpretation is completely different from mine. I like it but it is not the light I saw at that moment . The small reworks from Ed and Dick I like more.
I did see that it was not all that sharp, but to me it just gives that bit of morning dreamy feel.
But sure I must become sharper on sharpness.

Thank you all so much !!!

Ben