Morning Light

Discovering a new area where I live. The sun was coming sideways but getting high as the morning advanced. There was a patch of tall leaves with few purple flowers that appeared beautiful.

Specific Feedback Requested

Feedback in general. I liked how the light diminishes in intensity as one moves across the frame. Purple patches in diagonal fading away. Just your thoughts.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7.
300 mm
1/2000 sec
F/5.6
ISO 200

1 Like

This looks like Pickerel weed maybe, although the leaves aren’t right for the plant. Still, I like the arrangement of the diagonals as you mention and the contrasting colors. Sidelight brings up such nice textures, too. I could do without the brown leaf in front of our leading lady. You may not have been able to compose another way, but who knows. The left side being so dark doesn’t add much IMO, but possibly bringing up the shadows just a little could keep it interesting. Also a tiny crop to eliminate some bright bits on the edges would be nice. Also maybe a slight cooling could un-muddy the colors. Warm white balances often have this effect. Oh and I see a tiny bit of fringing/chromatic aberration on the sharp edges of the flower.

Jeez that sounds like I don’t like this photo and I do. All those vertical lines are pleasing as is the light. Maybe just a few small tweaks. :slightly_smiling_face:

I love your feedback!. Thanks

Hello Marie, nice to see you expoloring a new area for you! The light is lovely in this image. I agree that it would be great not to have that brown leaf in the way of the first flower. If at all possible to have moved slightly to your right, it would have moved left and voila - problem solved. Have you considered a vertical for this image? I like the two flower stalks, but the third one is sort of out in ‘right field’ and doesn’t excite me as much. A vertical keeps the eye in their area of most interest. Yes, it’s then two instead of three objects, but I think the back one echoes the front one, being out of focus, nicely. Just a thought - I really like the mood you captured here.