Morning Glory

Early Morning Capture. Used gaussian blur on the background then painted out the flower.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5ds-r at f-22, 1/250 and ISO 2000

elwise44
1 Like

A super sweet angle on this one. A little of the flower’s opening, but a lot of the side and that furled blossom is the kicker. Great details. The colors though…they’re not doing it for me. They look way too bright and over the top. If you’re going for more of a cartoon feeling for this, it works, but if you want more of a documentary approach, I think you could do better. The square crop is energizing.

Thanks Kristen, Thought the original photo, unedited, would reveal the natural colors of this morning glory. The deep purple color is what drew me to this shot. I believe this plant was planted by my neighbor from purchased seed. Appreciate your input.
Wayne

Looking at both versions, the color of painted version and of the original both grab me in different ways. Colors in nature do tend to come with their own–often unexpected–pizazz, and the original image is no exception. The colors in the edited version give it a different vibe, but I like it. If I greeting card had that image on it for example, I would buy it for sure! :slight_smile:

Thanks Ariella, I think my process of using a gaussian blur on the background certainly made the flower stand out more.
Wayne

John,
Blurring the background was a great idea because it removed the distracting white section in the upper left. I was immediately attracted to this image because I find morning glories so hard to photograph. Hard to isolate one or 2 and hard to feature the beautiful light in the long “tube” section of the flower. You captured the essence of this beautiful flower. Although the purple color is close to the original, maybe lighten it a touch as I notice that in the original image light does filter through the purple. Lovely shot!