Morning Glory - In all of its' glory

Description:

I cut this morning glory and brought it into the house for a little portrait session.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

This is a 20 image focus stack. Each frame was lit via an off camera flash. The flash had a soft box (about 12" on each side). I set up the camera for 20 exposures, set up a 1/2 second delay between frames to allow the flash to recycle. The images were stacked in Helicon focus. Minimal adjustments to the stacked result.

Olympus EM-1 Mark III
60mm f/2.8 Macro
1/50 @ f/2.8
Godox TT685 off camera with soft box

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@keithcbauer

1 Like

Gorgeous, Keith. The detail is superb and the soft lighting makes this image a delight to look at time and again. Nicely done.

Keith, this is truly a Morning Glory in all it’s glory. The lighting is really perfect, and your focus stacking makes it sharp throughout the bloom. That nice black BG really makes it pop. Great shot.

The petals look like satin. Between that and your elegant lighting, you’ve elevated this humble ditch dweller to something much more impressive. (that’s where our natives grow a lot of the time, on my own little road in fact). The light on the stem and the flower base really picks out that detail - I’m humbled by your handling of the flash. It almost seems to glow from within. The angle is great, too - the stem and the flower bending away from each other. Terrific.

Really beautiful and superbly handled. I’d just remove that tiny floating white hair to the right of the flower tube.