Morning Meditation

This photo makes for a great screensaver; the mornings at Caddo Lake are truly magical, under any condition. I find looking at this image very soothing.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Any feedback welcomed.

Technical Details

1 sec, f/16, ISO 125, 135mm, tripod

1 Like

Beautiful soft lighting and excellent foreground to background depth. Everything leads your eye thru the image to the distant trees. Reflection also works to draw you in.

I agree having spent a few mornings in Caddo. Don’t you love kayaking in the dark? That’s how I got in and out for sunrise and set. I like the softness here and how even the light is. The textures in the cypresses is really wonderful. And the subtle fog layer is also very typical of this area at this time. Is this auto white balance? The colors seem a bit thin and cool to me, which as a look might be what you’re going for. Like a Russian ballet dancer kind of vibe.

Fritz, having been one who’s meditated on a different lake in Texas, I certainly can feel the vibe in your Caddo Lake photograph. The soft, early morning feeling is present all over, including that faint ray of light way in the back (and reflected in the bottom center). Caddo is magic and mysterious. I can see and recall that feeling by looking at your photo. The two cypress trees at opposite sides of the frame have great texture and help keep my eyes centered in the background. Nicely captured and developed. I especially like the lightness of the entire scene.

Oh how I love looking at these mysterious cypress trees and you have done them justice. What I really love is that most photos I see of these swamps are dark and very moody (which I love). This one still has the moodiness of the swamp, but the whites in this image really makes it unusual and stand out. The sharpness is insane and those reflections! Fantastic!

1 Like

I really like the tranquility of this scene. There is a clear path for the eyes, but I don’t feel forced to travel it in a hurry, because it is so still. The bit of fog on top is great. I would imagine this is a very serene way to start the day. Although, if there are gators I might not feel quite as serene in a kayak. :smiley:

@Larry_Moskovitz, @Kris_Smith, @Egídio, @Donna_Callais, @karlag, My apologies, I have not answered sooner. (Actually, I think I had, but must not have clicked on “reply” :expressionless:) Thank you all for your kind comments. This is one of my new favorite destinations. Edígio, yes, I mostly shoot in auto balance, and liked the bluish tone of the RAW file; also, I was going for something different then what is usually seen, so the cooler/lighter processing was very much on purpose :slight_smile: Again, thank you all!