Morning Rumble

So here is an image that I recently processed from a trip that I took to Dead Horse Point State Park in 2013. I was browsing through some old images when I rediscovered this and decided it might work in black and white.

This was taken about an hour after sunrise and I could hear rumbles of thunder in the distance. I was fortunate on my trip to get a lot of great clouds and light.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I often struggle with black and white processing, but I think this represents my best effort to date. All comments and critiques are welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I suppose I don’t get any points for originality at this icon, but all comments and critiques are welcome. :grinning:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Capture Info:
21 mm
f/8 @ 1/40 sec.
ISO 100

Processing Info:

Extensive use of TK’s luminosity masks and triple play actions to bring out the contrast. I created a dodge and burn layer to brighten the tree.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I think that worked out really well for you. There is good separation without looking unnatural,

The bottom right is pretty bright but it looks right somehow. I would make that entire foreground ledge of the same brightness perhaps. It separates nicely from the canyon below.

This is a lovely image Brian, which I think could be greatly improved by adding some contrast selectively. Here is a quick edit of the direction I would take it personally.

Using the TKPanel I added some mid tone contrast to the overall image by selecting the midtones-1, creating a curves adjustment and pulling in the black and white points. Then selected the darks 1 and subtracted the darks 5 in order to not affect the very darkest tones, created a curves adjustment and pulled in the black point and added a slight s-curve. Then I selected the lights 2, loaded as a selection and dodged various parts of the image through that selection to bring out the light tones. Then selected a darks 5, loaded as a selection and burned through that to darken the lower right corner without darkening the lighter tones.

1 Like

Really nice image and I like the direction David took it. I might be tempted to go even further, but that is very personal taste at that point. Great sky.

1 Like

You had some awesome conditions Brian. I know for me, big landscapes in b/w end up with a lot of middle grey. It can take a lot of massaging to pull all of the tones out. It has a very classic look and if you did nothing more it would work just fine.

1 Like

The elements all separate well, and that’s not always easy in B&W and wide-angle. I particularly like the drama in the sky. Lots of variation and interest there. If I were to offer a recommendation it might be to try and work to add a bit more contrast to the non-sky areas in a subtle way to create a slightly better match with the drama in the sky.

1 Like

I like this a lot! The composition is awesome. I prefer @David_Kingham’s edit, but that’s a personal preference.

1 Like

Brian, I like this a lot as presented. Part of why it stands out for me, is the limited contrast, which helps me explore all of the details and there are a ton of details. I do think that Igor’s suggestion of evening the luminosity of the foreground ledge would work well.

1 Like

Thanks again for taking time to make revisions and explain your process, David! This is very helpful. I will keep working with this image and put your suggestions to practice.

1 Like

Thanks, Gary! I appreciate your feedback. Your Black & White photography is always outstanding!

Brian, I miss this image and I am pleased to see it brought up. Very well done. I like the direction that David took, I won’t probably go as far but it’s a personal taste. The composition here is just spot on.