Moss Rose

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any Hand Held Canon 5dMkIII, f 10, 180 mm Macro lens, 1/160sec., iso320

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

A lovely flower, John Wayne, and I love it against the all black background. It looks nice in the thumbnail version, but when I click on the larger version, it looks like possible motion blur, not much, but a little bit. The 180 mm lens you are using doesn’t have IS, so probably you might have needed just a bit higher SS. You had plenty of ISO to work with in the 5DMkIII without bumping into too much noise. I also think maybe a square composition for the flower might have worked better, or at least crop in some on both sides and a little from the top. One thing that I have been doing of late with that lens, when I don’t want to be totally locked down with a tripod, is using a monopod with a gimbal head, and it helps me to hold the camera more steady, but still have a bit more freedom. It is a lovely flower image (which reminds me, it would also do well in Flora).

John Wayne, the white petals stand out very well against the black background. In looking at the larger version, I too felt like there’s a bit of motion blur. That’s somewhat surprising at 1/160 s, however higher magnification means that motion blur shows up at faster shutter speeds. While I like the white petals and how you’ve handled the whites, I’d sure like to see better detail in those center parts, especially that yellow “spidery” bit, which seems very unusual.

Many Thanks, This was a handheld shot which always has a certain amount of motion blur in my case. Almost always use a tripod in manual mode because of my proclivity to move fore and aft during the shots with manual settings. All of the flowers of the Moss Rose flower has this little flower in a flower. Reminds me of a very small squid in a flower. . .or not.
Wayne

John Wayne: I love the light on this and the overall subject and comp. Probably 98% of my floral images are made with a tripod but I do occasionally hand hold if I think I have enough SS. But when using my 200mm which has some heft to it I’ll often fire off a burst of 4-5 shots. I usually get at least one keeper as the middle 3 or 4 shots aren’t affected by my mashing on the shutter button. >=))>

Beautiful image with dark background contrasting with the white flower. lighting is great as well. Agree about the motion blur at the center.

Thanks Ravi, Agree on the motion blur, took some photos today with the blue Moss Rose. Will post it later with an in focus center.