Rose

I love the softness of the folds of the flower, which I tried to capture in this image.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I recently bought a macro lens with the goal of taking more images of flowers, and this was my first attempt using the lens.

Technical Details

Pentax KP, 50 mm 2.8 macro, ISO 500, f22, 1/125s

I’m sorry I missed your first contribution, which I’ve just been admiring . Anyway, welcome to the Macro section! I love this composition and wish I’d taken it myself. Silky soft it is, so stacking would not have captured this at all. Your choice of f22, however, captures a good deal of depth. The only change I would have suggested if I’d been there would have been to move a bit more to the right to reduce the amount of bright white on the left and complete the curve of petal in the TRC (Top Right Corner). But this really captures what many love about roses, the structure and softness, as well as the great colours.

1 Like

Hi Catharine - welcome to the all-consuming world of macro! Muhahahaha!

What a soft and inviting photo to begin your journey with. Roses are so irresistible aren’t they? Plus you can get them anywhere and set them up wherever you like. I think the shadows work well to bring up the modeling in the depths of the petals. It seems to have a bit of a cyan cast - not sure if the petals themselves are slightly green which can sometimes happen, but maybe it’s the white balance. I agree with Mike about moving slightly left and maybe up a bit since that’s where the most interest is for me with this rose. I can practically smell it!

Hi Catharine, and welcome to the macro world, and congratulations on your new macro lens. I just love macro. Those tiny little creatures and flowers that we get to see so much better ion the large screen that we could otherwise not see with our eyes only is such a wonderful thing.

I too can almost smell this rose you got in so close (like one would do when they wished to smell it). I think you have already got some good advice from @Mike_Friel and @Kris_Smith. Looking forward to seeing more of you macro shots especially.

Thanks Mike for the warm welcome and your suggestions.

Thanks Shirley!

1 Like

Thanks Kristen!