Mother and Child

I was super lucky to have caught this moment in-camera while hiking in the Gunung Leuser National Park searching for the Sumatran Orangutan. The mom and her child were moving through the trees and I happened to catch it in an opening. Lighting was tough and I needed to do some dodging and burning and it was already a very high ISO image (8000). I cleaned up most of the noise with a combination of ACR’s NR and Topaz DeNoise but you may still notice some remaining in the darker areas. I cloned out a leaf that almost touched the mom’s chin and cropped it slightly for composition (17MP remaining). All feedbacks are welcome!

D500, 300mm, f/5, ISO 8000, 1/320

@adhikalie

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Sweet moment captured I really liked the interaction and the cut light on Mom’s face and spot light on the eyes of child. Nice details on the face of Mom and you cleaned the noise well!
Cheers!

1 Like

What a wonderfully intimate image. How fortunate to have been able not only to observe them, but photograph them. Because, IMO, this is very intimate, I think you could crop from top and right side (maybe a little from left), and make it even more so.

1 Like

Truly an intimate moment between mother and baby, Adhika. it almost looks like the baby is kissing his mother. The eye contact of the mother is sweet, and the lighting hitting the eyes of the baby is really sweet. Wonderful color and detail, and I don’t see any noise, so you did a great job in post processing. :+1::+1:

1 Like

Adhika: very nice capture of the moment between the mother and infant. This is an excellent end result especially given the conditions. No nits from me.

1 Like

Adhika, this is a stunning image! I recall how difficult these wonderful primates are to photograph, and the usually awful lighting conditions one has to deal with. You did a very good job processing. If you hadn’t told us what you did, we would have never known.

1 Like

For whatever reason, I missed your comments here. Thank you so much for the kind words @JRajput, @Jim_Gavin, @Shirley_Freeman, @Richard_Sandor, and @Charles_Bell. It was such a privilege to be able to photograph them in the wild.