Mother Moose and Calf

Grazing Moose

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This moose was just West of Jasper in the big Yellowhead River Meadow. It was way out in the meadow. It took a while for us to realize she had a calf hidden in the weeds with her. It looks like mother moose has had some kind of run in with something as there was a huge scar along her right flank.

Specific Feedback

This is a pretty big crop shot at the end of my range. I hope the image holds up to the crop.

Technical Details

Both shot with Canon R5, f10, 1/125s, iso 200, 100-500 with 1.4 TC at 700. Large crops for compositions.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

This must have been very exciting to witness! Tough to do when you are at the limit of your lens.

I don’t know how you feel about removing things. I thought removing the dead branches in front, some of the small branches across the calf’s face, and just a bunch of the brown brush might help the calf stand out more? The brown moose against a sea of green? Just a thought.

This is just a quick and dirty … I’m sure you can do a better job if you like the idea.

I’m jealous of all your adventures! I would be so excited to witness this and get a shot!

Cool! Thank you @elizabeth. I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I will see what I can do with those branches in front of everything especially. That makes a lot of sense.