Dripping Moose - New Order

Mother and Calf

Young Bull Moose

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This cow and calf crossed the AlCan Highway in Northern Brittish Columbia and went into a small pond to browse for a bit. They were followed shortly by the young bull moose who had a wonderfully plaintive song to sing for the cow. She was not impressed and moved on after fifteen to twenty minutes with lover boy in hot pursuit. These were taken years ago and I recently ran across them as I was copying old files into a new drive.

Specific Feedback

I hope the bright yellow OOF leaves framing the cow and calf aren’t too distracting. they were in pretty deep brush and we tried to give them room.

Technical Details

All were shot with an old Canon Rebel XT, with a 100-400 lens at 400 mm or 320 mm, f5.6, 1/200-1/320 sec, iso 400.

Ed, nice shots - my favorite is the second one, with the yellow framing on both sides, matching the in-focus leaves. Also I love the eye contact in that shot. What an occasion to catch all three animals!

Wow, what a nice series of moose shots Ed; love the dripping water in the first one. I have a camp up in Indian Lake NY and still waiting for my first moose after 3 years. Nope, leaves are not too distracting and you managed to get clear shots without much foliage in the way. Bull moose is my fav.

Thank you very much @Mike_Friel and @Jim_Lockhart. It was fun to watch and hear the young bull give his best pitch. Good luck with your moose spotting in NY Jim. We did a ten day trip through NH, Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, including Cape Breton and didn’t see any. Went through some beautiful country though.