Velvety Moose - Reposts 2 Images

Repost Moose 1

Original Moose 1

Repost Misty Moose

Original Misty Moose

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken in Grand Teton NP late in the day. I tried to get a clear spot through the brush along the road but there were still some very OOF areas in these images. I think there was also some mist coming up from the edge of the pond that adds to the misty appearance in these. I’m not sure what has caused the mottled look to the colors of this moose.

Specific Feedback

Your thoughts are welcomed on these two images.

Technical Details

Canon R5, f10, 1/200s, iso12800, 100-500+1.4tc at 700mm. Topaz denoise applied.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a moose with fur like this before. Is he wet or molting or both? Interesting. there seems to be a bit of a magenta cast that is more noticeable in the first image - maybe a touch of warmth in the wb would help. The trees over his head in the first shot could be cropped out if you had a mind. Adding canvas to match the grassy slope might isolate him further. I love the chewing and his little dewlap. Good job getting through the intervening bushes.

Thank you @Kris_Smith for your suggestions on these. I did a WB adjustment which worked pretty well on the second image here, but not very well on the first image. I also adjusted the magentas, reds and yellows and lightened the shadows in color curves in the first one.

Oh nice! The re-edit looks superior - excellent.

You are very kind @Kris_Smith. I appreciate you and all you do for us at NPN.

Re-edit looks good. Very interesting looks at this guy. Your first image is my favorite of the series…Jim

Thank you @Jim_Zablotny, I appreciate your comment and your look. @Kris_Smith had it right. The moose was shedding its winter coat. I saw a really nice image someone else had taken that showed that mottled look and it was the long winter hairs coming out of the coat.