Mother's Love in High Key

I took this at Etosha National Park in Namibia. It was a special hour watching the mom and young zebra, at first with mom and what seemed like dad and another relative and then just mom and baby. The color photo seemed very plain to me, although it is softer and more touching. I then processed in black & white (Nik), but it still didn’t pop, so I processed in high key in Nik. I like the photo now, but I would like your thoughts.

Specific Feedback Requested

Should I crop in more? Should I use the color and make different adjustments? I don’t have the back end of the mom because of the crop I took at the time. I’m also posting the color photo before b&W processing. Thanks for any thoughts.

Technical Details

Fuji XT3, ISO 500, 140mm, XF 100-400 lens at f8.

2 Likes

I love the soft colors, but I could see the B/W as very interesting in a crop to the symmetry of the faces.

1 Like

@Diane_Miller thank you Diane! After looking at the soft colors again, I do really like it and will use it in addition to the high key photo. On the high key, I’m not sure what you meant by crop to the symmetry of the faces - I’m including a crop here - is this what you mean or do you think closer in? Thanks!

1 Like

I was thinking really tight on the faces, as the almost-symmetry is very interesting.

2 Likes

@Diane_Miller got it, thanks so much!!

Beautiful moment and tighter crops look so good, highlighting the touching behavior.
B&W is preferred mode here and i like both the tight versions, but in first one (the horizontal one), you may slightly trim the canvas at the bottom.

@JRajput thank you for your thoughts! I appreciate your suggestion to trim the horizontal photo.

1 Like