Mound Spring

I like challenging puzzles and that includes ones where it feels good to leave it put together and enjoy the scene. This look from last fall at Mound Spring (from Mammoth Hot Springs) fits those feelings. Over the years of our visits to YNP, I’ve watched this spring go from nothing to having as much flow as any of the other springs at Mammoth last fall. Taken on a cold day so there was lots of mist. (5D3, 100-400 @ 117, 1/125 s, f/16, iso 800, tripod)

Gorgeous, Mark. Although the various colors and textures would drive me crazy if it were a puzzle, I do agree that after having gotten it together, it would be beautiful to look at time and again. I’ve been to the Mound Spring and have some image from that trip, but mine don’t begin to capture it as elegantly as this one.

Excellent layer of geology and color and a great look at the spring. I might try toning down the whites in the LLC but otherwise, processing and comp look really good. This would make an excellent and challenging puzzle.

Such a distinctive scene and a tough puzzle for sure. The colors are so wide-ranging and rich. The textures are fantastic. It must have been difficult to find a composition that works this well. Nice.