Mount Adams Sunrise, View from Trout Lake, Washington w/Repost

Repost with more room at the bottom:

Original:

I decided to take a day off yesterday and practice retirement. I have to get some practice in because it will be real in 5 weeks. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anyway, I drove up to Trout Creek, Washington to catch the fall color. Down low, like here at the lake I was about a week too early. I think the Maples and Aspens will be prime next weekend…I may have to practice that retirement thing again. Up the mountain though the Maples were in prime peak. Wonderful vibrant yellows everywhere. I am going through my images so may have one to post later.

Anyway, this is a view from Trout Lake just at sunrise. Unfortunately the top of the mountain did not reveal itself, but I do sort of like the clouds over it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fujifilm GFX 100, GF45-100mm, 20 sec @ f/8, ISO 100, Tripod, Polarizer, 6 stop ND. I used the ND to get a longer exposure to smooth the water out. While still called a lake, this part is really more like a stream/creek with moving water…

1 Like

Great shot from this location. Just the right exposure. I prefer these clouds to a cloudless day. I’ve got to get there. Not such a long drive from here. Perhaps the oaks between Goldendale and Trout Lake are looking good now.

Yay for retirement!!! I’ve been retired since my late 40s and it’s awesome. Except for the forgetting what day it is thing. Lenticular clouds on Adams are classic and you’ve done them justice here. The reflection is pretty excellent.

1 Like

Congrats on the impending retirement, David. I have been retired for eight years and loving every minute of it. I am sure you will enjoy it also. The clouds covering the peak of the mountain do not bother me a bit as it adds a bit of mystery to the image. I am looking forward to seeing some of the images from up on the mountain.

1 Like

Perfect soft light on the cloud, and a very nice scenic location for it! I love its reflection – good call on the ss.

Retirement is very time-consuming – better start accommodating now. And just in time for fall color!

Congratulations!!

1 Like

Since when are lenticular clouds unfortunate ?? The clouds are one of the best parts of the image as far as I am concerned. My only nit is wishing for slightly more breathing room at the bottom. Some Photoshop - Add Canvas / Content Aware Fill will address that if you don’t have it in your raw file.

Congratulations on your retirement, now you will have the luxury of chasing weather and light on your own terms. It doesn’t get any better than that.

1 Like

Ed, thanks for the note. Pretty funny, I actually cropped a bit off the bottom to keep it from being too symmetrical. I’ve posted a revision above.

And thanks for the congrats. I am really looking forward to chasing the weather and light on my own terms as you say. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Actually, Dave, you had more fall color that was apparent. I pushed colors a bit with a LAB mode Curve layer. While this result might not be in keeping with your intent for the image, I could not resist playing with it.

1 Like