Breathing Space

When chasing fall color last October, @Steve_Kennedy and I caught a break in the rain when we got to Trout Lake. We pitched our tents to take advantage of the dry, and then drove the short distance to this location to see how the fall color was doing. Based on the predicted weather, and what we’d been experiencing, we didn’t expect to see Mount Adams.

Wonder of wonders though, the clouds were whipping rapidly from west to east (left to right in the image) and for just a few moments the mountain came out to play and the sun lit up the clouds sitting over the peak. I didn’t last long, but we enjoyed the brief interlude before the rain came back to sing us to sleep.

Specific Feedback Requested

It typically bugs me when the top of a mountain isn’t visible in my photographs, but I was so surprised to see the mountain at all I was happy with this one. Is the trade off of having lenticular clouds enough to compensate for the peak being covered?

I also have images with the mountain centered, but preferred this with the sunlit clouds in the center. Do you think this composition works with the cliched 1/3 placement of the mountain?

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
NIKON Z 7II
NIKKOR Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 VR at 60.0 mm
1/125 sec. at f/7.1 and ISO 64

Truth in Blending Statement: I liked the sunlight on the lenticulars, but there was a small cloud over the bottom left of the mountain. I blended just a tad from a second image taken about a minute later to remove that.

3 Likes

This is a striking image. Surprisingly for me, the star of the show is not the brightly lit cloud over the peak but the absolutely gorgeous soft light hitting the trees and bringing out the colour in the mid ground. For that reason I’d be very tempted to bring the brightness and, perhaps vibrance down on the cloud covering the peak and its reflection in the lake below. Those elements are strong enough and will draw the eye without having to shout.

1 Like

This looks really good, John. Not seeing the peak is just fine with that nice lenticular formation hanging over it. No suggestions here, an enjoyable one!

1 Like

Beautiful shot, John. I think the cloud is perfect on this. I also like the off centered view. The left side is balanced with the clouds in the sky, so the whole image feels nicely balanced and framed. Great image and excellent processing.

1 Like

John, I’d say that the lenticular clouds and their being spotlit by the sun more than compensates for missing the top of the peak. The gentle segment of sunlit fall colors and the peaceful reflection add to a excellent scene. The mix of clouds and sky looks very good also.

1 Like

John,
When you have a lenticular cloud like that I do not care one bit about seeing the top of the peak. I have no idea how often you folks get to see lenticular clouds, but I have only had the good fortune to witness them twice while photographing in the White Mountains of NH. I think this image needs to be viewed large to truly appreciate the exquisite light on trees just starting to show off their autumn colors. Beautifully done!

1 Like

I think Kerry nailed it with his critique. The brightness of the lenticular cloud draws you away from the best part od the image: trees, lake and reflection. The light in that lower area is exceptional and that creates a Romantic mood to the scene.

1 Like