Morning light on Mount Adams, from Trout Lake

One of the few times I ventured out last year. I was hoping for fall color, but as you can see, I was a week or two early. Trout lake isn’t much of a lake anymore, it’s been drying up for years.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments/critiques appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fujifilm GFX 100, GF 45-100@100mm, 1/6sec @ f/16, ISO 100, Polarizer, Tripod

3 Likes

David, Looking at this image sure makes me wish I was standing right there taking this all in. It’s a beautiful scene with wonderful color and light. Love what that snow covered mountain adds to this scene. Not sure of anything I would want different. Beautiful work!

If that’s early season color, I’d love to see this place at peak color, it looks pretty darn colorful to me. The light here is gorgeous which probably doesn’t hurt the foliage colors either :grin: Your processing and composition both look great to me, I’m enjoying this very much.

I love how you have alternating bands of warm and cool colors, your composition did you a lot of favors in this regard. The fact that the lake is low created these strips of water and golden grasses, which I think is much more interesting than a cliche reflection in a lake full of water would have been.

Well done! The geese add a nice element to the image.

1 Like

A beautiful capture, David, and lovely composition. I love the color contrast between the rich golden color and the blue sky and water. There appears to be 4 rather distinct layers here with the mountain/sky, the golden trees, the upper FG water and the lower FG water. To me, that many layers is confusing to the eye and makes it harder for the image to hold the viewers interest. I think the image would be improved by cropping the lowest layer and just going with the three main layers. With the crop taken, I find my eyes don’t flit around as much.

Original

Revised version

2 Likes

This is so beautiful, David! I agree with @Ed_McGuirk, it sure looks like peak colors for the NW to me too! I really like how you captured it, it almost feels 3 dimensional like I could step into it! I like your original image best.

@Nick_Bristol, @Ed_McGuirk, @GregVaughn, @Bill_Chambers, @Vanessa_Hill, Thank you all for the nice comments and suggestions. Bill, I like your crop as an alternative view as it does simplify the scene.