Mountain Gorilla - Youngster

Description:

Truly a trip of a lifetime for me to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park in Uganda . Bonus was seeing a Mountain Gorilla family with juveniles. I was hoping to get a shot with eye contact, but this juvenile was more interested in grabbing leaves than he was in me and my camera.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D w/100-400mm. 1/1000 sec @ f5.6, ISO 5000, Hand held
Is this a composite? No

I can see why you like this intimate shot, Marc. I like the way that it is framed behind the leaves and yes, you can see that it is looking right past you. Makes me wonder what was behind you!

1 Like

Marc, this is an excellent look at this youngster. I like the expression, the bit of hand, and all slightly soft green surroundings.

1 Like

Marc - It’s a very good image. I had the pleasure of visiting two different mountain gorilla families in Rwanda a couple of years ago. It was an awesome experience. In the approx 500 images I shot in those two days I only had one infant make eye contact with me. It appeared to me that they wouldn’t make eye contact but I was always in their peripheral vision - maybe a gorilla thing. One thing I did in post that you may want to try is darkening (a little not much) the bright areas in the face and on the hand - takes off some of the glow.

Thanks Gary. I think he was trying to work out his hand-eye coordination grabbing the leaves in front of him. He didn’t quite have the hang of it, but it was fascinating to watch.

Thanks Dan! I actually darkened those areas a bit. At first I had them even darker, and then brought them back a bit.

Beautiful and expressive portrait of this youngster, Marc.

1 Like