Mountain Gorilla

My wife and I had been talking about going to see Mountain Gorillas since before we were married 18 years ago. This past February/March we finally took the leap and booked a trip to Uganda. It was a group trip, but was not a dedicated photography trip per se. There was a weight and space limitation, so I would only be taking one lens and no tripod. I did a lot of research online as to what the best lens to bring would be. The big question for me was whether I wanted to lug my 100-400 zoom around when many people indicated it was not necessary, mainly because we would likely be fairly close to the gorillas. I wound up taking the 100-400 because I also wanted to do some bird photography. I was very glad I went with the 100-400. We did get close to the gorillas, but it was really nice having the ability to get some close-up shots, plus we hired local porters to carry our stuff for the trek up the mountain. We made it home just ahead of the U.S. restricting flights from Europe due to COVID (we went through Amsterdam). If you haven’t been already, and it’s feasible for you ( after this pandemic is over :frowning_face:) I highly recommend a trip to Uganda. I think it’s an often overlooked destination, at least in the U.S.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D Mark II with canon 100-400.
1/640 sec, f/5.6, ISO 5000

4 Likes

What a fine shot. A great moment. I would not change a thing if it were my capture.

1 Like

Great close up and I really like how it provides a deep insight into this individual.
I’m really happy that you took along 100-400 mm lens, as it provides some great framing options.

1 Like

Such a nice in your face image of this gorilla, Marc. I’m so glad that you took the 100-400 lens with you. The eyes are everything in this image. Love it.

1 Like

Hi Marc! Excellent photo - it tells a great story! As Dave said, I wouldn’t change a thing. I agree about a trip to Africa - if you can swing it, do it. It’s a trip you’ll never forget.

1 Like

A wonderful intimate portrait. Well done.

1 Like

Marc: good lens choice and what’s not to like about a great photo. Congrats! Richard

1 Like