Mountain Laurel Closeup

Here is a shot from my recent efforts to capture Mountain Laurel, kalmia latifolia, in central Massachusetts. We have had a very rainy spring this year, leading to one of the best years for mountain laurel in a long time. Over the past week we had 4 rainy/overcast days which allowed me to get out and take advantage of a banner year for mountain laurel. For this image, I decided to go for more of an abstract and fill the frame with blossoms. I really love how the unopened blossom look like tiny stars…

Mountain Laurel has an unusual method of dispersing its pollen. The stamens are bent and have some tension. When an insect lands on the flower, the tension is released, ejecting the pollen onto the insect.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments or critique are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 5D MK IV, Canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens, at ISO 400, 1/3 sec at f22

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Ed: Frame filling fantastic! Love the color and sharpness throughout the frame. Most excellent.>=))>

Nice frame filling shot, Ed. The color is fantastic. Did you take any horizontals?
:vulcan_salute:

Thanks for the comments @Bill_Fach and @Michael_Lowe, it’s appreciated. To answer your question Mike, I became so intrigued by the colors and patterns of these flowers that I ended up spending four drizzly, overcast days chasing mountain laurel across central Massachusetts. I shot hundreds of images, vertical, horizontal, grand scenics, intimate scenes, you name it. I didn’t even let a close encounter of the black bear kind deter me from photographing these woodland wildflowers. I’ll be posting a few more of these for sure.

Sweet frame filling goodness, Ed. The pink and white make for a beautiful combination of colors. This is just a personal preference, but I could see a crop from the left and top to get rid of those semi empty areas and placing more of an emphasis on that wonderful grouping of mountain laurel. Just a thought of course as this is lovely as is.

Hi Ed,

I love the repeating shapes and no distractions. I think if there were a contrasting color or contrasting shape (like the foliage of your previous post) it would have made this image even better.

Don