Mountain Laurel

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The state flower of Connecticut can be found blooming in the woodlands in early June.

Specific Feedback

All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Fuji X-H2, XF 16-80mm lens at 45mm, ISO 250, f/9, 1/60 HH. This is a crop of the original, probably about 50%, because I wanted to exclude several other flowers and only portray this small group, and I found the 1:1 aspect ratio worked best. In post processing I really lowered the shadows in the BG to make the flowers pop. Otherwise, I adjusted the clarity and sharpening.

1 Like

Stunning colors, Jim! I’d prefer to see the lowest flower in its entirety and wonder if you could re-crop to include it all? The top edge would not suffer by having a bit removed, but maybe your original will not allow this crop. A stack would have made this even sharper, especially in the lower half, but as a whole it’s a striking tribute to the State flower, and I just love the varied shades of pink.

Oh Jim, now you’re taking me back. How I miss Mountain laurel. When I was in NH at the end of June last year it was just starting to fade, but oh, it was great. I have many shots of the trail and forest, but not many of the flowers themselves because they are so hard to isolate. This is a good try and the color looks right to me. I’d rather not have the bottom flower cut off because it feels accidental and including it would have completed the frame the three of them create. I like that you have so many buds here - they’re like tiny fireworks and I love the angular structure.

Beautiful, JIm. I had the same reaction to the cut-off bottom flower, though not as strong as expressed above. I do wish you’d been able to stop down a bit more and get that leading bud nice and sharp as it really attracts my attention. A beautiful arrangement. Our here , if we want mountain laurel we have to grow it, though I have encountered one hike that has bog laurel with the same form of bloom and very attractive. Unfortunately it’s a long drive that requires crossing through the urban areas which I’m not fond of doing since I retired.

Thanks for your remarks @Mike_Friel and I’m in total agreement. Unfortunately, I didn’t do “border patrol” on the original comp and cut off the lower flower. Already planning my next session; bringing a tripod for more accurate composition and try some stacking at the same time.

Thanks @Kris_Smith and @Dennis_Plank for your kind comments. It was an accident cutting off the bottom flower :pensive: :pensive:, so already planning next visit with a tripod for better comp and perhaps try some stacking too. I know there are varieties that are sold in nurseries, but this bush was growing wild (along with countless others) in a nearby state park.

Jim: Not much to add to the above comments. I would have liked a little more downward angle to include all of the lower bloom and less on the top. When handholding I’ll often fire off a burst of shots to mitigate the effect of the camera moving when you press the shutter button. I’ve even used my remote holding it against the camera or even using a 2 second timer. This is a lovely subject and I hope you get some more soon. >=))>

@Bill_Fach , thanks for the good advice Bill.