Mountain Laurel

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the overall image. I especially like the out of focus cluster at the top right of the frame to add depth.

Creative direction

I was looking for a front to back crisp view of a nice cluster of mountain laurel.

Specific Feedback

Overall impression and crop. Any input appreciated.
I did a small amount of cleanup on selected leaves. Just enough left to make it look real. The leaves on mountain laurel are never without missing pieces, brown spots, etc.

Technical Details

Nikon Z6 II, ISO 800, 78mm, F8, 1/50th, tripod. I used focus stacking to get the clarity I wanted.

Description

This was a project that took me a few years to complete. I wanted a cluster of flowers that showed all types of blooms to include fully open, newer unopened blooms and a few blooms that are not quite 100% open. I especially like how the flower cluster moves at a nice diagonal across the frame

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Beautiful little flowers, captured very well.
Love the dainty detail and colours, and the varying stages of opening.
Not so sure about that OOF bunch, though…

I like the oof cluster, Andrew. It’s placed just right. As you noted, the diagonal formed by the blooms makes for a nice composition. There are a couple of brighter leaf edges sticking into the bottom of the frame that are a bit distracting.

Simple, yet quite elegant. Nice job!

Andrew: I like the main cluster a lot but the OOF bunch does pull my eye a bit. I think if there were more OOF flowers all over the frame it would work better for me but the single bunch looks out of place. I played with a tighter crop and some AI fill for a cleaner look. Back to you. >=))>