Mountain View

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

At the top of Cadillac Mountain, Acadia NP at sunset. I had many images of small scenes from the mountain but thought a wider view in ICM would work.

Technical Details

70mm f/18 2 sec iso 100

I like what the ICM did to the foreground, Mario. The doubled clouds in the mid sky give the impression of mis-matched layers to me, which doesn’t really fit with the impressionist feel I get from the foreground.

The colors in this are really lovely. I’m with Dennis on the impressionistic foreground - it works. The background, though, isn’t quite as impressionistic. I’m finding that ICM doesn’t work as well if there are things at greatly varying distances. Just this morning, I tried to make an ICM looking up my favorite creek and it just didn’t work, especially if there were elements that were recognizable.

Mario, what a beautiful location and kudos for trying something other than recording the traditional landscape. I have not had success in photographing an ICM of a wide scene like this. I think you did well with the motion to achieve an impressionistic rendering.

I tend to agree with Bonnie and Dennis on including everything. For me, the sun on the right and the large section of rock in the immediate foreground are competing for my attention. I find the midground with the orange and green hues and that row of trees on the hillside to be the most interesting. I provided an alternate crop below.

Example of alternate crop

Thank you @Dennis_Plank @Bonnie_Lampley @Alfredo_Mora for your comments and suggestions, I appreciate the perspective on the foreground midground ect. still like the original but also the redo .