Moyne House Gold

Tongue, Sutherland, Scotland

Normally I try to keep man made objects out of my pictures completely and as you are probably aware generally I like subtle and delicate images, but just occasionally it is necessary to concuss folk by bludgeoning them senseless with colour and this staggeringly beautiful and jaw dropping light raking across miles of open moorland beneath heavy cloud turned the drab and forlorn gable ends of ruined Moine House to burnished gold. At the same time turning low lying puffs of cloud to candyfloss. Beyond and almost entirely unlit is the brooding bulk of Ben Loyal its summit peaks outlined against a midnight blue sky.

Pentax 67 II, 300mm lens, Fujichrome Velvia
unfiltered, f/16 at 1/30 second.

Ian, your eloquent description is both appropriate and accurate for this wonderful scene. This is a bit of a departure from your typical style and it is quite impressive. I have no suggestions, beautifully crafted!

I enjoyed reading your post as much as I did the photo. Count me among those who have been bludgeoned senseless with the colour. Overall I like the warm light on the landscape together with the warm / cool contrast in the sky. I would recommend dialing back a little on the saturation of the house. This scene definitely tells a story and stirs my imagination of what life was once like. I like how you have carefully positioned the house between the two mountains in the composition.

Reading your post description and viewing the image are both wonderful. Amazing light and color beautifully presented. Moments like this are special.

Gorgeous red glow and stunning sky Ian.