Sunrise Blackmount

Rannoch Moor, Glencoe, Scotland

There aren’t a huge number of images that i have taken using a 300mm optic particularly when attached to a Pentax 67II (not a lightweight combination), never-the-less I was chuffed with the result and it is a more unusual image taken at this place than is usually seen.

It’s difficult not to fall in love with the mist covered moorland and magical lochans that form on Rannoch Moor on a sublime autumn morning. This glorious lighting occurred at dawn with shifting threads of mist lifting off the lochans at the first kiss of sunlight. In order to portray a sense of gravitas to the mountains I opted to squish their perspective with a longer lens to reveal the delicious play of red sunlight across their flanks.

Pentax 67II, 300mm lens, f/16 at 1/2 Second, Fuji velvia 50.

1 Like

Ian,

Exquisite, if not magical light. Fantastic use of the longer focal length to isolate this beautuful light and scene. I think the reflection is just right to add a touch more magic to the scene.

No nits or suggestions. Just joy.

Lon

Stunning light Ian. I love the wonderful warm glow of the mountains and their reflection.

Ian, what a beautiful part of the world is glencoe . Long ago I have been there. About your inmage, I especially like the colors and the fine reflexions in the water. No nits here.

This is exquisite, Ian. Beautiful tonal contrasts and great layering. Processing looks good. Only suggestion would be lightly burning down the brightness on the upper left and right frame edges.

Ian, This is all joy for me as well. The light is spectacular and the line of fog further communicates your bright, yet restful morning message. The crisply focused middle ground - especially the trees - really makes the image pop for me. Congratulations.

Beautiful light and scene. I would second Dave’s burning suggestions.

Glorious light indeed !!!

This is one of those rare images where the small thumbnail looks outstanding, and the large image looks even better. I especially like the way you composed the center mountain to be framed by the other peaks, it creates a very graceful flow in the composition.

A wonderful image. What makes it special to me is the contrast between the foreground and background, making it look almost magical. To make this contrast work better, I think that the two parts needed to be given somewhat equal weight, so the foreground should probably be a little brighter so we can see the components. Again, a very very special image.