Mrs. House Wren

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

House wrens are using one of the bird house gourds and decided to try the new Auto Capture feature of the Z9. However, poor light conditions and a non-contrasting subject did not provide stellar results. So, I did the old-fashioned method of manning the camera. This was one of the better shots and one of the few worth posting. Hopefully, I will get a sunny morning before the young decide to fledge.

Specific Feedback

The light patch on the leaves might have to be darkened as a possible edit. What do you think about that?

Technical Details

Z9 200-400mm f4 at 280mm (1/3200 sec at f5.6, ISO 2000+ Fill at -.3ev) Topaz DeNoise AI, Curve adjustment and micro-contrast adjustment, brightness and contrast, crop for comp.

1 Like

Really nice shot and a difficult one to achieve, Jim. I really like Mrs. Wren. Those broken feathers in the wing do a great job of conveying just how much work motherhood can be. I would do something about both of those bright spots under the gourd. You might also bring down the brighter areas on the gourd itself-not much. I find the lighter patch at the top of the frame a bit distracting. I don’t know if you can get a higher position to shoot from next time you try or shift your angle a trifle to eliminate the sky, but it might be worthwhile trying.

1 Like

This is a real nice action shot. The first thing that strikes me are the differences in shape between the gourd and the bird. I agree with Dennis about bringing down some of the brighter areas on the gourd and perhaps lightning up the bird. Definitely a unique image.

1 Like

I like the pose with the spread wings, showing good detail. I like the composition. Would agree with the other comments about seeing if the bird could be brighter and the gourd darker.

1 Like

I agree with the comments about the brightness etc…I just want to chime in that this is a fabulous composition and story! How wonderful you get to pursue more photos of this subject.

1 Like

Great timing Jim to get this shot! Love seeing the spread wings with good view of the eye also. Agree with toning down the bright areas mentioned above but this is a cool shot in general. well done.

1 Like

Thank you @Allen_Sparks , @Robena.Sirett , @David_Schoen , @Dennis_Plank , and @Allen_Brooks for comments and critiques. I agree in that the wren has to be brighter and the portion of sky needs to be reduced. I rwent back and shot a few more photos with repositioning the tripod and unfortunately non that I like so far. …Jim