Mt. Ypsilon Chilly Winter Morning

What technical feedback would you like if any? All technical feedback encouraged!

What artistic feedback would you like if any? General and specific please. What do you think of the dark FG?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Sony a6500, 0.5 sec at f/18, Lens 16-70mm at 70mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Matt,

An excellent and bold winter mountain scenic. The colors and the first light of day are beautiful.

The darker forest area doesn’t bother me; there’s detail there, we can see the trees and I think the foreground ridge contrasts nicely in the overall scene.

I love the colors in the clouds/sky as well as the light striking the peaks. For my own taste, I think the contrast is a little heavy, but clearly within the realm of preference.

I like the framing/crop as well - just right.

Lon

Thanks, Lon. I’ll try softening it a bit.

Matt, that simply spectacular light that you have here, it must have been amazing to witness in person. I think the composition works well, the arrangement of elements keeps my eye moving across the scene. As @Lon_Overacker said the foreground has detail, so it’s not a big problem, but I could see lifting those shadows a bit. Again, this crosses over into personal taste, but I think the contrast level is a bit too high, and I would prefer to see a slightly lower of saturation on the sunlit portions of the mountains. The colors and saturation of the sky look fine to me however.

1 Like