Muddy Creek Falls

This image of Muddy Creek Falls is from last weeks trip to Swallow Falls SP, MD and Blackwater Falls SP, WV. IMO Swallow Falls SP is the best state park in MD as it has an old growth forest of hemlock trees; some of which are more than 300 years old; and three waterfalls. At 53’ Muddy Creek Falls is the highest free falling waterfall in the state. We were a little arriving and only had an hour before sunset so I only got a couple of images before heading back to the motel.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 35 mm, f 18 @ 0.5 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

No critiques from me, Ed. To my eye, processing, comp, focal length, and SS are spot on.

You’ve processed the conversion to b&w well and picked the optimum shutter speed for the water . Personal preference would be for a little more detail in the rock face on the opposite shore. Love the ice formations on the left.

I love the staircase nature of the falls, which has been further enhanced by the shutter speed. Another aspect which stands out for me is how the luminosity of the water and the ice contrasts with the dark background. A very interesting and beautiful picture.

This is excellent, Ed, and works beautifully as a B&W. I agree with Patricia on the opposite rock face. I see some great details that I think would show nicely with a bit of dodging. I might be my monitor but the whites look like they could stand a little boost as well.

Ed,

Beautifully captured cascade. I especially like the surrounding elements really telling the story about the icy cold conditions. (Interesting thought too - that silky water in and of itself doesn’t really give us any indication of conditions, temperature, season, etc. This image here - it’s clear the conditions)

I would agree with both Patricia and Dave. First, a little more detail in the darker rock areas. But also agree with Dave in punching up the whites a notch; not too much, given the diffused lighting and time of day.

The steps in the falls draw great interest to the falls.

Lon

Ed, the Falls look great with the steps showing well. The icicles make this view special. I’ll bet the park was pretty quiet, which it never is in the summer.

Thanks to @Michael_Lowe, @Patricia_Brundage, @Anil_Rao, @Dave_Dillemuth, @Lon_Overacker, and @Mark_Seaver for taking the time to look and leave a thought. Here is a repost with a little more detail in the rock face and the whites lightened a bit. Small tweaks, but it does look better.
@Mark_Seaver: Definitely less people than the summer, but still more than I expected.