Muscular Bighorn

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

There was a group of 19 or 20 Bighorn Rams hanging out mostly on one side of a back road near Yellowstone Park, while roughly 60 female/young hung out on the other side of the road. Over two weeks, there started to be more and more mixing of the two groups as the mating season got started. This is one of the Rams with the largest horns, note how rounded the tips of his horns are. When I looked at this, I was impressed with how muscular he looks along with how massive his horns are. Shot from my car. I could have climbed onto the roof to make the ridge in the background disappear, but that would have dented the roof and might have spooked this Ram.

Technical Details

R5, 100-500 @ 270, 1/400 s, f/8, iso 800

This guy is huge. When I was there a couple of months ago I didn’t see any large rams like this guy. I was looking for them too. Really good details and a nice look at those horns. He’s a beautiful color as well. Most of the rams I saw , in addition to be much smaller than this guy, were more gray but this guy really stands out. That sloping hill in the background cutting through the top of the ram is not ideal but also not a deal breaker. Good call on not getting on top of the car.

Wow! What a beautiful animal. He must be the alpha male. Not only large and well muscled, but his color and the size of his horns. You captured him beautifully. His position and the turn of his head is nice, and both eyes are sharp and clear. Excellent detail where it counts. The hill isn’t a problem for me - I took awhile to notice the hill I was so captivated by the ram. Great shot Mark!