A Bighorn's gaze

This big boy was one of a group of mature males hanging out beside the road near Gardiner, MT early one morning. I coasted slowly to a stop and shot this out the open car window. (7D2, 100-400 @ 400, 1/40 s, f/11, iso 200, 84% FF)

4 Likes

WOW, what a stout looking guy. A wonderful portraiture take of this ram, Mark. The lighting seems perfect with excellent facial detail throughout. The low key and muted BG provides the best in overall portraiture outline edging as well… :sunglasses::+1:

Hi Mark,

I like the lighting on this one with ideal details in the face. The horns have a nice glow to them due the bright source lighting. Awesome…Jim

Excellent, Mark. Beautiful guy and great portrait of him. For some reason, I really like the highlighted chin hairs, too. Nice touch. :+1:

Great shot, Mark. This guy is quite handsome, but I wouldn’t want to get on his cranky side!

Great shot Mark. Love the direct eye contact. And you have to wonder if he’s thinking “keep your eyes on the road buddy!”

Terrific head shot, Mark. How fortunate to catch him by the road with such awesome light.

A very nice close-up portrait of this ram, Mark! Exposure and focus are excellent and the lighting is great. Love the detail in the eyes also! The gray background is a nice bonus as it makes the sheep stand out much more than a busy background would. It’s always nice to have these type of surprise opportunities during a road trip!

Hi Mark,

The details are great and he is framed very nicely as well, lighting, contrast and exposure are all great.
He is a powerful looking animal.
I like the look in his eyes, he looks worried, it’s the same look that my dog has when it’s getting close to his dinner time, after he eats, the look is very relaxed.
You can tell a lot about an animals mood by the look in their eyes IMHO.

Great capture! Thanks for sharing!