Big Horn Ram Posing

Driving down a dirt road near Dubois, WY, this ram was suddenly standing there alongside the road. I rolled down the window and started shooting. He seemed to be posing for me and he just stood there until we left.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

How could I have made this picture more interesting.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D810, 1/180 sec, 130mm, f/8, ISO 100

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hi Jeff,

this is a baetuiful ram in a great setting, i would actually love to see more of the landscape in the back, as it seems quite nice, maybe also include a bit more of the legs.

The light and pose is very nice in my opinion!

regards

Denis

Wonderful pose in a natural setting. I like that part. Exposure looks good as well.

I don’t care for the legs being cut off at the bottom of the frame and would choose a different crop with less room being the ram and more room on the left in front of the ram.

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to more of your participation.

Hi Jeff !

Welcome to NPN !
I like the sculptured look of the Ram and the light too.
As for the crop, I feel either you should go for the head and shoulder kind of image or have full Ram in the frame.

Denis, Keith, Jagdeep,
Thanks for your comments. When I took the picture I was trying to emphasize the ram in front of the background cliffs. When I looked at the picture later I decided the cliffs were too distracting. The two large red rocks towards the upper right corner were attention grabbers but I toned them down to where they are now. The rest of the background I decided was too distracting and I cropped it. I should have used a wider aperture. Unfortunately, in my haste to get the background I thought I wanted I chopped off the legs. My Bad!
I have several head and shoulder shots, I might post one of them.
Thank you all for you helpful comments.
Jeff

1 Like