Musky the Muskrat Having Breakfast

Image Description

Because I have a day job, I am often doing nature photography in less than optimal conditions. When I took this photo, my lens hood was filling with wet snow and it took some effort to keep going. A muskrat showed up munching on plant shoots while the snow continued. I fired away and then moved around to try to get a better shot. This one turned out well and it shows good detail on subject and surrounding snow. The horizontal stem leads the eye out from the subject and seems to add something essential to the comp.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like the comp on this one–very simple and all elements fit together like a puzzle. Are there any suggestions for improving the comp?

Technical Details

Z9 600mm f4 + 1.4x Teleconverter (1/800 sec at f5.6, ISO 1600) Levels, Topaz DeNoise AI, Microcontrast adjustment, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness and contrast, crop for comp, rubber stamp tool to remove 2 tiny dark OOF floaties in foreground…Jim

A peaceful, if chilly scene. Congrats on you for braving less than ideal conditions. Whenever I see someone shooting out in weather like this without a lens cap it makes me cringe so I’m glad you had one, and you tried! Since you ask about composition, I wonder if losing some of the foreground might strengthen it. The long line of the critter and the horizontal stem along with the background ripples all seem to be of a piece, but the fg is empty and doesn’t. If that makes sense. Try it on and see how you like it. There’s a certain peaceful aspect here, too. That the musky isn’t fussed and just gets on with things even with humans around.

1 Like

Thank you @_Kris . I like muskrats because they are fairly common, but often overlooked by nature enthusiasts. I am reworking the image with a different crop and hope to post it soon…Jim

1 Like

I agree that these guys are overlooked. They’re endearing and I am still waiting to catch one swimming or in some reedy backwater. I’ve seen them, but by the time I get the kayak anywhere near position, they’re gone. Once when I parked the kayak for a while to just soak in the atmosphere, I saw one paddle by, but it was too far away for even the 100-400mm. Oh well, maybe next time. Plus I know where a den is on a river so I can always try there, too.

1 Like

Hi Jim,

This is very good, I really like the immediate environment of snow covered “stumps?” or whatever they might actually be, the Muskrat munching on the plants in such a relaxed manner shows at least some level of trust and personal safety even though there was some distance between the two of you. I’m sure it was ready to “Bolt” if you come too close though.
My first glance at this made me think the snow was on the Muskrat’s fir but it quickly became obvious that the snow wasn’t on the Muskrat.

Color and contrast is really well balanced in this and the composition is perfect IMHO, I do agree with Kris on the crop from the bottom though, maybe put the horizontal stem at about 1/3rd up from the bottom? (Or whatever feels right to you).

Either way, it’s a very pleasant and interesting image of an often overlooked critter.
I can think of a few critters that I would overlook but a Muskrat wouldn’t be one of them.

Well done and I can relate to having snow build up in my lens hood, been there and done that a few times :slight_smile:

1 Like

An interesting frame and I love the reflection !
It can give you plenty of cropping options. You may try loosing some of the foreground, as it doesn’t have any detail and adding some background.

1 Like