Mutualism

I have been trying to get a frame under windy conditions for weeks now. Eventually I used some led lights to light up the scene.
6DII, 180, 24mm Ext, 1.4 TC, 12 mm ext, 800 ISO, 1/60, F9

Balan Vinod

Balan: Interesting duo and a fine capture. Nice work on the lighting especially. :+1::+1:>=))>

Now that is a close up shot, Balan. To see an ant larger than life is getting in there pretty close. Looks like there are some other living things on the stem itself, besides the ant and the other critter (sorry, I don’t know what it is, but it sure is small). There may be some eggs as well. You did do well with the lighting. Nice macro shot.

1 Like

Thanks Shirley, They are tree hoppers, and they are the tree hoppers nursery probably.

1 Like

Balan, nice work! The details look great. This is quite the combo with the ant, the leaf hopper and all of those eggs. Was the ant involved or did it just happen to be walking past?

Mark thanks…I should have explained this a little more.

There is this unknown tree at about 8 feet tall, and some thin fruits/seeds coming down. All these are infested with these tree hoppers, and ants all over the place. It was difficult for me to isolate one , hence had to get real close. I had this particular ant addressing? two tree hoppers while others were attending to other hoppers. Sometimes I used to see the tree hoppers move one bit when the ant came by, but not away from the eggs.

Balan Vinod

1 Like

A neat behavior to watch, thanks for the explanation.