My Back Yard # 3

This particular azalea does not bloom for very long and I was able to only come away with two images that I like. I was disappointed that the weather conspired against me with rain and wind for several days, but hey, what can you do. That is why we keep coming back.:grinning:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 35-70 @ 70 mm, f 16 @ 1/13 sec, ISO 800, CPL, cable release & tripod. This is a two image stack for DOF.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Wow Ed, this is a wonderful small scene. You can never go wrong with pink and green. Your processing of the color here looks great, you have nailed the green/yellow colors of those ferns. Your composition nicely balances the flowers across the image, and creates a lot of viewer eye movement. I also really like how you used the partial fern in the LRC as a frame, its very effective. My only suggestion would be to clone away the dead flower in the extreme LLC. But that is really a nitpick, overall this is a very pleasing intimate scene.

Ed, this is a beautiful small scene, that sings very loudly of spring. The pink flowers are scattered well throughout the frame and the yellow/green glow of the azalea and fern leaves really set off the flowers. The tree trunk at the top adds a fine change of texture, for a bit more interest.

I really think this is a special wee scene. Magenta and green are surely going to work very very well together but your composition is immaculate. If I were to suggest anything it would be to remove that one less healthy looking yellow leaf near the middle and clone out the two tiny patches of grey lichen on the trunk, but then again I personally wouldn’t as I dislike interfering with these gorgeous wee found shots.

All has been said, Ed. Very well done. As @Ed_McGuirk mentioned, I like the framing of these flowers wit hthe ferns. I really like it as presented even though the suggestion to clone out some elements is also valid.

This works really well, Ed. I like the pink and green complementary and the various leaf textures in the azalea and the fern. You have just enough Doug Fir trunk here to ground this and give it an intimate quality. I applaud your decision to let the foliage exit the frame. It adds an element of boisterousness that works well.
ML

Many thanks to @Ed_McGuirk, @Mark_Seaver, @Ian_Cameron, @Adhika_Lie and @Marylynne_Diggs for taking the time to leave your thoughts as they are always appreciated. Glad everyone enjoyed the image. Here is a repost with your suggestions of cloning out the dead flower and the yellowing leaf.

I really like the assortment of azaleas against all that lush green. Those ferns add nice variety.

Gorgeous Ed! Can’t add much that’s already been said. Great “edge control” - in other words, clean edges, no partial flowers or distracting eye catchers.

Simple and beautiful.

Lon

Thanks so much for your kind words @Bill_Leggett and @Lon_Overacker; always appreciated. Glad you enjoyed the image.

Super image. You nailed the colors and the light.

Ed, I think I’m going to discard my take on this scene after looking at yours. You nailed the comp so much better than I did.
:vulcan_salute:

Flat out gorgeous little scene Ed; the repost nails it.

Thanks for your thoughts @Tony_Kuyper, @Michael_Lowe and @John_Williams’ So glad you guys enjoyed the image. @Michael_Lowe don’t toss it, just do a little cropping and clean up the edges. Your’s isn’t that different than mine.

Don’t know how I missed this lovely image. I think what really adds a lot to this composition is that upright fern in the ulc. It has a real presence and the image would be more ordinary without it.