My Buddy Woody

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I had a recurring pileated woodpecker coming in to enjoy our suet block out back for quite a while and he’s been MIA lately but he seems to have returned exhibiting the same routine. I got him working his way down to the suet block here with a sunlit head. I like how it catches him.

Specific Feedback

Anything?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/2500th, f 8.0, 615mm, ISO 5000, cropped to 2639 x 2935, Photo AI

I’m not sure if you underexposed and brought it up too far or what happened, Dave, but the near wing looks much too gray to me and there’s no detail in the feathers at all. I do know that Photo AI can botch things up at times and that could be the issue.

Hi Dave, glad this guy showed back up. What we see of the head looks okay to me even though I am wishing for more of a head turn toward us. Agree with Dennis on the body plumage lacking detail and grayed out. Hope to see more of this guy.

I think I did go too far in dodging the dark body to try for more detail. Here’s another shot of “Woody” seconds from the other shot. This time all I did to his body was to sharpen it some. What do you think? Better approach? Thanks guys for you input.

Dave, I think the new post is better than the original in terms of feather detail but the second still looks overly smooth to me. Did you use Photo AI on the second image? Maybe try a different sharpening tool such as Smart Sharpen?

Hi Dave. I agree with Allen. Take a close look at the wing feathers and there’s no fine detail in them. Given the sharpness of the head, I think there should be (you can check the raw file to make sure you had it to start with). By the way, I actually prefer this pose.

Thanks guys for your input. Always appreciated. When I use Photo AI it’s typically for reducing noise and I sometimes also sharpen. I can’t recall if I utilized both functions on this one. I wanted more detail in his dark body and probably chased it too hard. I probably dodged it some, too. I didn’t even realize that I have “smart sharpen” in PS. I intend to look at using that in situations like this where it could help. I think the takeaway for me here with these two image critiques is to try not to fall in love with part of the subject and try to milk the unloved part to catch up.