My Buddy Woody

Image Description

This handsome male pileated woodpecker is a daily visitor to our backyard suet block. It’s my buddy “Woody” (Woody Woodpecker’s look was inspired by a pileated).

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

he was kinda close in so I didn’t have a lot of wiggle room for cropping. What about that lower left BG? I darkened it a bit but it’s still a bit of a pull. I suppose I could clone in some more foreground tree bark…

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/1000th, f 8.0, 525mm, ISO 8000, Photo AI

2 Likes

@Dave_Douglass

A pretty nice look at this pileated woodpecker. Nice position of the bird.

The LLC background that you asked about is a bit distracting. I wanted to see what it would look like just a bit darker, but also less saturated.

I also wanted more room at the top . Sound like you were pretty close and didn’t have much room to play with. A very simple content aware crop adds canvas nicely up there.

Also a bit surprised at the lack of fine detail in the plumage. Did a little selective work to bring some back. I’m sure you could do better than I did with the raw file.

Here’s the result.

2 Likes

Thanks, Keith. Definite improvement. I keep forgetting about the “content aware” in photoshop.

Good look at this Pileated, Dave. @Keith_Bauer’s rework is nice, especially highlighting the details. Pileated’s are such awesome birds.

Hello, Dave, wonderful close-up ! Keith’s work is an improvement, I may be temped to add something at the bottom as well, as the tail feathers are pretty close to the image border. But, that all said, I’d love to be so close one day to the species! Well done ! Hans