Woody

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This guy comes in for our hanging suet block regularly. He’s pretty friendly, does not seem to mind my nearby presence. I never tire of shooting him. I am always in hopes of getting a “taking off” shot. Almost impossible but I’ll keep trying.

Specific Feedback

Cropping about right?

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/1000th, f 9.0, 740mm, ISO 25600, cropped to 4555 x 5822

3 Likes

In my neck of the woods, Pileated Woodpeckers are few and far between, so envious you have a regular visitor. Very nice look at one. I wonder if playing around with the contrast would make a difference.

Very good, Dave. They’re are plenty of them in my general area, but I’ve never gotten one nearby. I really like your composition and crop-to me it looks about perfect. The reds and whites in the bird look spot on, but I think you could go a bit darker on the blacks-but they could be lighter colored in your area, since a lot of birds are darker up here.