My Buddy

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This handsome male pileated woodpecker has restarted showing up regularly in our backyard for a taste of our hanging suet block. He was MIA for a while. Glad to see that he’s back. I never tire of shooting him and I like how he’s so tolerant of my presence, unlike the northern flickers… Blink, and they’re gone.

Specific Feedback

Environment? Exposure? Cropping?

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/1600th, f 9.0, 900mm, ISO 5600, cropped to 3156 x 2531.

1 Like

Great shot. I like the composition with the bird completely in front of the tree trunk. The crop gives the sense of the environment… I wouldn’t change it. I envy you having him in your back yard. I don’t think they ever come south to Arizona where I live.

I bet you have roadrunners to shoot down there that I don’t see where I live… or Harris’s hawks either. Envious myself.

Glad your buddy is back Dave. Nice full view of him. Environment, exposure, and cropping all look good to me. Love seeing the red crown and eye so well. Nice image.

Thanks. I got to shoot him more today, including some pretty closeup shots. I was pretty dainty in my approach and he didn’t mind in the slightest. I just have to decide how many Woody pics I need. I already have lots but never tire of shooting him.

The woodpecker is beautiful Dave. Nice clear shot against the trunk of the tree. You have a fun backyard.

The bird and composition look good to me, Dave. That thin out of focus branch that runs across the lower right corner tends to draw my eye a bit, and it would be pretty straightforward to remove (I think). I envy your having these.

Nice look at Woody and the tree is interesting as well. I see one every few years, but you’re lucky to have one as a regular. Looking forward to more.