My corner of the world

This lake is close to our house and I enjoy going there quite often. I was hoping for better weather, however this week just didn’t cooperate.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I did some post process; Photoshop and Lightroom. Lowered the highlight and did saturate a bit since it was such a drab day. Any ideas on how to bring a fairly flat photo to life would be greatly appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does this image evoke habitats? Does the angle work to enhance the feeling of the area?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, f/11, 1/60 sec., iso 100, 16-80mm@52mm.

Thank you.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Linda: A nice corner indeed. I can picture myself in a kayak just cruising the shoreline. I do like the POV and the water movement. I could see a number of possibilities with the reeds in the water and wonder if you’ve had the opportunity to work them. Nicely seen and captured. >=))>

Thanks Bill. Yes, I also really like the reeds and have several photos that I’ve worked up some abstract images and will post them in the landscape category (I think that would work).

Linda: Images of the reeds would work in Flora as well. (Shameless plug :wink:)

1 Like

A very nice scene, Linda. You are so fortunate to have a place like this nearby. I like that you shot from a low position.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman, definitely got my feet wet.

1 Like

Linda, this looks very inviting as presented whether in a kayak, canoe or walking along the shore. Those big boulders in the foreground are a nice touch. On a cloudy day, adding a few hundred points to the temperature setting can warm the scene nicely. It looks like your extra saturation handled that well as you’ve got a nice spring glow in that first tree and along the shore. You can add extra contrast with Tone Curve adjustments in LR, either with the built in presets or making your own increases and decreases. You can make similar contrast adjustments with a curves layer in PS and limit the changes to particular brightness levels with luminosity masks.

Thanks Mark. This is great information and I just spent way more time delightfully exploring and adjusting away in Photoshops’ luminosity masks. I could spend all day just playing with “what if try.” Still working on LR. Thanks again Mark, really appreciate your taking the time to explain these techniques.