My Fishing Spot

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I always like to see if I can an action shot instead of the standard Heron posing type shot. There were about 20 Herons standing in the estuary as the tide went out. I was lucky to capture this moment.

Technical Details

Olympus E-M1 Mark III
300mm
1/3200 @ ƒ8.0 ISO 1600 Manual (M for missed another one)
Processed in Lightroom in a very basic level.

2 Likes

Hi Greg and Welcome to NPN :slight_smile:

What a nice stop action shot!
The details are good, it’s always fun to watch their behavior and even more fun to capture it with a camera :slight_smile:

The DOF and exposure are great!

This image might benefit from a bit more environment on the left and top, they seem to be just a touch too tight in the frame but that’s a very minor thing really, it does work as presented. :slight_smile:
BTW, my comment on the framing being a little tight is mostly personal preference. :slight_smile:

Welcome aboard! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to NPN and the Avian Forum, Greg. I really like the action in this shot and the dark, compact form of the incoming heron-it gives it a really menacing look. That said, it looks like there’s quite a bit of detail in the dark feathers of the incoming bird and I think lightening the shadows a bit would bring that out and make this even nicer. I also agree with Merv that more space on the left and top would help balance this image a bit better. I don’t think it would take too much. I don’t know what software you’re using but I think most of them support adding canvas if you don’t have it in the original and don’t have ethical issues with it.

Another thought-not a criticism: I get a feeling from this image of the right hand bird having nowhere to escape-though I know that’s silly. If you wanted to work with that, a dark border around the image might really emphasize the idea. However, it’s your image-not mine.

1 Like

Merv and Dennis your feedback was great, just the sort of thing I’m looking for. A little Google learning on how to stretch the image using content aware fill. Push the shadows up a bit for increased detail in the feathers and the image is definitely improved.

Thanks so much.

2 Likes

Greg, we try to do our best to recommend edits for improvement without offending anyone, we always have the best of intentions.
Thank you for taking our thoughts as constructive! That means a lot to us!

Feel free to jump in and share your thoughts on other member’s images a well (when you feel you have something to add or just want to). We can use all the help we can get :smiley:

You can post a reworked image by editing your original post using the pencil icon, just add the new image at the top but leave the original there so we can compare them by switching between images in the viewer.
And, edit the title while you’re there to indicate that a reworked version has been uploaded, something like: “My Fishing Spot + Rework”.

If you have any trouble with suggested edits, just ask and I’m sure someone will be very happy to assist. There’s lot’s of members here that are very experienced at editing.

Thanks, Greg!

1 Like

Hi Greg,
Welcome to NPN! Really nice first post - love the interaction you have captured. Agree with the advice given above and also would be interested in seeing your revision.

HI Greg
The action is great and welcome to NPN.
Peter