My Space

My space, my backyard, my town… This is a view of my local landscape. I ventured out two days ago needing to get out of the house. Perhaps we’re lucky as photographers because it’s in our nature, our vocation - to be social distance warriors! Me, myself, and I out on the back roads peering through a barbed wire fence, making photographs.

I’m not typically a big landscape shooter and this particular landscape isn’t all that dramatic or impressive, but it has stories and meaning to me. I live in an officially designated California wine appellation (fancy word for wine growing region). So my town is surrounded by thousands of acres of vineyards. And right now spring is emerging.

Side note here since the power lines are quite visible. Way to much to clone out and actually there were some secondary lines on the far back hills that I did clone out. I actually did quite a bit of “clean up” with this one. But to the power line story. These are the lines that brings hydro-electric power from Hetch Hetchy reservoir in Yosemite to the Bay Area.

It was a stormy day as rain had swept thru here earlier in the day, and soon after this was captured, another rain cloud came by and sent me back to the car.

Critique, comments and suggestions always welcome.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I did a fair amount of processing, especially in the sky. this is a 2-image stack for dof. And as such, the sky was a bit hot and some small washed out ares in those clouds. Very curious how the sky goes along with the landscape and given conditions. Colors/Sat ok with all the greens and leafing out vines?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Not too much artistic going on. Any comment welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @78mm f/16 1/30 iso 100, 2-image focus stack

1 Like

Lon, I so agree with you about the "me, myself and I. And I also used to love roaming through the wine country. You’re such a luck guy. I really enjoy the lines and layers of this photo. Also, like the lighting provided by the passing rain shower. Wonderful image Lon, thanks for sharing it.

These two months are probably the prettiest in your area. The greens capture the freshness of this time of year there. I love the preciseness in this image. All those geometric shapes. And the sharp detail is appropriate here. I guess there’s no way to clone out that there on the left? The other ones aren’t as intrusive in my opinion. Nice work.

This is really nice, Lon. Yeah, it would be nicer if the power lines weren’t there, but they’re not a deal killer by any means. My only suggestion might be to give the terrain part of it a little overall “lightening” because it appears just a bit on the drab side. Other than that I really like this.

My edit was quick & dirty so it’s far from perfect.

Real nice rural scene, it gives a great feel for your “neighborhood”. I like @Bill_Chambers 's changes, the extra pop works for me. Sell this one to that winery! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comments @linda_mellor, @Igor_Doncov, @Bill_Chambers and @Harley_Goldman. Much appreciated.

Good call Bill. There was definitely shifting and dappled light and I like that you’ve brightened things up a bit, the change is subtle, but also true to the scene and experience! Thanks

Wow, nice front and backyard Lon!!! This has three distinct layers to it. The foreground with all of the perfectly situated geometric lines and intense and vibrant green followed by the mid ground where you have geometry but so in your face as the foreground and also a more muted green carpet which introduces some oaks into the frame with dappled light and then you have the background with the green rolling hills and no geometry at all. I’m envious of your yard. You probably live near the gateway to Yosemite and Kings Canyon too. Lucky you Lon!!!

Lon, your original image may seem to dark due to the NPN dark background. It’s hard to say. I personally prefer that original less contrasty look.

Lon,
Not much to add from a critique point of view. I wanted to stop by and say it was a really nice idea to share your grand native landscape scene. It is a beautiful area, but I take some consolation it not the outstanding Yosemite landscapes I see from you so often! :wink:

1 Like